French toast…one of the most delicious breakfast options of all time. Unfortunately, conventional french toast recipes tend to be high in fat, cholesterol, sugar, and calories while providing little nutritional benefit. That’s why I created my Vanilla Strawberry French Toast! It’s delicious, healthy, and will leave you feeling energized and ready to take on the day. But don’t just take my word for it–try it yourself!
- 4 slices thick whole grain bread
- 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg (yolk and white)
- ¼ cup vanilla fat free/low fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sliced frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbs agave nectar
- Whisk together eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until smooth. (This may take a few minutes in order to completely blend yogurt into the mixture). Then, whisk in cinnamon.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat & spray frying pan with cooking spray.
- Dip bread into egg mixture and soak until saturated.
- Cook bread on pan until golden brown (About 1-2 minutes per side).
- Repeat for the other three slices.
- Add strawberries and water to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer on low heat.
- Whisk in agave nectar and stir until strawberries are broken up.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken.
Serve using strawberry sauce as a substitute for maple syrup. Top with a strawberries and a pinch of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- High in protein and fiber to keep you full and satisfied
- Low glycemic index (helps regulate insulin levels)
- High in antioxidants
Test it out and let me know what you think! Also leave a comment below with your favorite breakfast indulgence and I’ll work on creating some yummy, healthy alternatives!