One question that I get asked a lot is “How do I boost my metabolism?” According to The Mayo Clinic, “Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy.” On a simple level that means the faster your metabolism, the more calories your body burns in a day. While there is definitely a genetic element to one’s metabolic rate, you can also follow these five simple steps to help boost your metabolism!
- Weight Train! Muscle weighs more than fat, BUT it also burns more calories. The more lean muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolic rate will be. Strength training a few times a week will help boost your metabolism and leave you looking great! Try out this DempseyFit video!
- Don’t Skip Breakfast. Eating a healthy and nutrient-filled breakfast will help jumpstart your metabolism. Skipping breakfast will force your body into starvation mode. You may think it will save calories, but it will slow your metabolism down and can lead to afternoon and evening binges. For an awesome breakfast option, try out Olivia’s Morning Mocha Banana Smoothie.
- Train Intensely. High intensity interval training maximizes calorie burn post exercise. It will also shorten your workout and burn more calories than steady-state cardio. Try out my Fat Burning Running Interval Workout for a great high intensity sweat sesh!
- Eat Often. Eating small 5-6 small (and healthy) meals/snacks throughout the day will help keep your metabolism running and stimulated all day long. It will also help prevent binges and keep your blood sugar levels steady.
- Drink Green Tea. Green tea contains both caffeine and catechin—two ingredients that will crank up your metabolism!